It is important to distinguish between the solubilisation and the purification steps: 1) During the solubisation step you need to care about the lipid/detergent ratio. The amount (not the concentration) of detergent (i.e. in non monomeric form, the detergent above the cmc) is important. You may need a high amount of detergent. 2) During the purification step, you need to keep your protein soluble. Here, the concentration is important and you may keep the concentration of detergent around the cmc. But you have to be aware that in the initial (and also the not so initial ones!) steps you may have a lot of lipids, you need then keep the concentration of detergent fairly high in order to keep everything soluble. I like to decrease the detergent concentration at each purification steps in order to avoid protein denaturation. The protein may sustain a fairly high detergent concentration of detergent during the early steps since the lipid/detergent mixed micelles will be less denaturing than the pure detergent micelles in the later steps. Thin layer chromatography is a quick and easy method to check if you have a large amount of lipids in your preparation.
HTH
Daniel