From: CCP4 bulletin board [CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Roger Rowlett
[rrowl...@colgate.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 5:57 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Who is using 64-bit Linux?

The time has come for me to upgrade my Linux OS to something more recent
for me and my student workstations. A 32-bit distro is certainly
conservative and compatible with CCP4 and Coot, but it seems like that
solution hobbles my hardware and puts some limitations on available
memory, even with PAE enabled. So who is using a 64-bit distro these
days, and are there lingering issues of compatibility and dependency
hell with commonly used XRD software, like CCP4, Coot, iMOSFLM etc.?

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (beta) actually works OK with one simple workaround for
the global menu for CCP4 and Coot, and wine compatibility is fine for
running CrysalisPro in the same environment, so it's really comes down
to whether or not the extra performance of a 64-bit OS is worth the pain
of compatibility issues for XRD software. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor