Sometimes you can distinguish disorder from the other possibilities if you have
enough structures with the same protein. We have several examples where part of
the ligand is not visible in the maps, but there is clear distortion of the
ligand binding pocket to accommodate the missing piece. for example, we have
one with a ligand that has an extended linker. You can see a big whole in the
protein where the linker leaves the pocket, but no density for the tether.
Kendall