If SeMet oxidation is an issue then EDTA is your friend. This is because Met, SeMet and even Cys-Cys are not oxidized directly by O2, but rather via a trace transition metal intermediate. So, keeping enough chelator around to soak up any trace metals will dramatically slow down the oxidation. I can't remember where I first read about this, but once upon a time when I was working out how to make fmoc-SeMet (before you could buy it) and assaying the product by HPLC I found that I could easily see both the single- and double-oxidized forms on the chromatograms. Adding H2O2 was a good way to make the oxidized species (positive control), but a solution of SeMet in water at neutral pH and ~0.5 mM EDTA was stable in air for weeks. I discovered quite by accident that using a steel probe as a scraper was not a good idea. Lost a whole batch that way. The singly-oxidized SeMet can be converted back to SeMet with DTT, but the double-oxidized form cannot.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist