This seems to be very a common scenario in MR and recently we have added some code to phaser.MRage that would handle it automatically. Each partial solution is analysed for the presence of (complete of incomplete) assemblies that obey local point group symmetry. After such an assembly is identified, the program can either "fill in" molecules where they should be (provided the obey the previously identified local symmetry), and can also search with the full assembly. This greatly enhances the signal (since the model comprises a larger fraction of the asymmetric unit), and also speeds up the search.

(MRage is not yet included in the current CCP4 release, but available as alpha-test in recent Phenix nightly builds.)

BW, Gabor