It might be that the "bulk solvent correction" is nullifying the interior
of the ferritin structure, and there should be a way to tell the refinement
software not to treat the interior as solvent. Perhaps then you might find
your Fe? Also, I would think there should be some powder-like diffraction
rings in the background of the ferritin crystal diffraction corresponding
to the scattering from the jumbled but crystalline Fe in the inside--did
you see any extra rings in the background of your original diffraction
data? Not sure what the Fe-Fe distance is in this case in particular, but
there should be a ring (or rings) corresponding to that (those)
distance(s)....

JPK

Jacob Pearson Keller
Northwestern University