Hi Tim,

With small test sets, R-free doesn't become meaningless you just have to take
into account that R-free has an error margin which is higher than for cases
with a large test set.
Few people report this error margin, but with a small data set you can easily
do K-fold cross validation. I.e. do K refinements with K = 1/(test set
fraction) and report R and R-free as averages with a standard deviation
(instead of what we call cross validation, but is actually holdout validation).
The CCP4 program freerflag already splits your data set in K groups to make it
easier for the user.
I do this automatically in PDB_REDO if the test set contains fewer than 500
reflections. It's amazing how much R-free is influenced by the choice of ones
test set.

Cheers,
Robbie