Well, not to be a downer, but wikipedia has some comments on the hazards...
Environmental effects

Tetrafluoromethane is a potent greenhouse
gas<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gas> that
contributes to the greenhouse
effect<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_effect>.
It is very stable, has an atmospheric lifespan of 50,000 years, and a
high greenhouse
warming potential<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_warming_potential> of
6500 (CO2 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide> has a factor of 1);
however, the low amount in the atmosphere restricts the overall radiative
forcing <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiative_forcing> effect.

Although structurally similar to
chlorofluorocarbons<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorofluorocarbons>
(CFCs),
tetrafluoromethane does not deplete the ozone
layer<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_depletion>.
This is because the depletion is caused by the chlorine atoms in CFCs,
which dissociate when struck by UV radiation. Carbon-fluorine bonds are
stronger and less likely to dissociate. According to Guinness World
Records<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinness_World_Records>
Tetrafluoromethane
is the most persistent greenhouse gas.
[edit<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tetrafluoromethane&action=edit&section=7>
]Health risks

Depending on the concentration, inhalation of tetrafluoromethane can cause
headaches, nausea, dizziness and damage to the cardiovascular
system<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiovascular_system> (mainly
the heart). Long-term exposure can cause severe heart damage.

Due to its density, tetrafluoromethane can displace air, creating an
asphyxiation <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asphyxiation> hazard in
inadequately ventilated areas.

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Jim Pflugrath <jim.pflugr...@rigaku.com>wrote:

>  Here is a trick which I will attribute to Cambridge:
>
>  Fill balloon with gas.  Put end of balloon over 15 ml Falcon tube.  Put
> Falcon tube in LN2.  No wasted gas.
>
>  I would recommend CF4 or carbon tetrafluoride instead of propane though.
>  CF4 is cheap and non-dangerous.
>
>  Jim

Jacob Pearson Keller
Northwestern University