From: Harman, Christine <christine.har...@fda.hhs.gov>
To: CCP4BB <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Sent: Wed, Jun 6, 2012 3:53 pm
Subject: [ccp4bb] Are these xtal conditions worth optimizing?

Hi All,
I have these very weird drops that I found from screening (please find pictures
attached).  I am not sure if they are worth optimizing.  I am very interesting
to know your opinions of what you think of thesedrops could be (are these what
you call "spherulites"?).  If you think these conditions are worth optimizing,
I welcome any ideas on how to optimize.  I have done some optimization and
still get the same result which is many of these weird things growing
throughoutthe drop and with no sharp edges, and sometimes a skin forms after
2weeks (with the sodium malonate conditions only).   I have also opened the
drop and poked around to see if it is phase separation and this things are
definitely solid and slightly-very mushy. I haven't had a chance to check for
diffraction, but will be very soon.   Both of these drops contain the same
protein preparation of a Fab/peptide complex @ ~5mg/mL in buffer containing
0.1M Sodium Acetate pH 5, 150mM NaCl. I appreciate any advice, thoughtsor
comments that you could provide.

Peace,
Christine