Indeed, the intention is that .mrc and CCP4 .map are identical. There have been
some problems over the years, which I would call bugs, leading to apparent
incompatibility. I'd be interested in any specific cases of non-conforming
software (i.e. if there are some .mrc files which CCP4 programs can't read
(simplest test is "mapdump MAPIN foo.mrc"), I'd need to know which version of
which program generated it).

Cheers
Martyn

*               Dr. Martyn Winn                                       *
*   STFC Daresbury Laboratory, Daresbury, Warrington, WA4 4AD, U.K.   *
*   Tel: +44 1925 603455    E-mail: martyn.w...@stfc.ac.uk            *
*   Fax: +44 1925 603634    Skype name: martyn.winn                   *
*             URL: http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/martyn/                      *