I suspect you didn't request the FreeR assignment on the TRUNCATE interface?
This calls amongst other programs, CAD and CAD makes sure that the reflection
list is unique and that it is in a standard asymmetric unit.  Most people do it
by default so don't hit these problems...
I suggest you just run CAD (on the reflection utilities) and select - input all
observations , then try again with the output mtz. All that will have happened
is that the reflections are now assigned to a standard asymmetric unit and
sorted.