Hi,

As of last week, this is a "known bug" (defined as one where I got around to
adding it to the list on our Phaser Wiki).  It has been fixed in the latest
nightly builds of Phenix, and a new executable will be released through CCP4 in
a few weeks, coordinated with the next stable release of Phenix.

It only happens under very specific circumstances, i.e. when you say
"SGALTERNATIVE SELECT LIST" and then give a list with only one element.  We
didn't think this would happen much because we thought that, if people know
which space group they should be using, they will put the correct space group
in the MTZ file.  If you don't know the correct space group, it's pretty easy
to list all of the possibilities in one job and then you don't run into this
bug.  The new version of Phaser is more clever than the old one about choosing
the correct space group (it used to make such decisions prematurely, but now
waits until the choice is unambiguous), so there shouldn't be a real incentive
to submitting separate jobs for the possible space groups.

Thanks for reporting it, and sorry for the trouble!

Randy Read

On 20 Aug 2012, at 16:06, Jan Abendroth wrote:

> Hi all,
> we have been running into a space group issue when we start phaser (2.5.1)
> through ccp4i since the installation of ccp4-6.3.0:
>
> We typically scale data in the point group and then let Phaser go through
> various space groups. Even though the corresponding line appears in the input
> file
>       SGALTERNATIVE SELECT LIST
>       SGALTERNATIVE TEST P41
> rotation and translation function would only run in the space group provided
> by the mtz file. Obviously it does not matter for the rotation function.
>
> As a work around one can edit the input file (run& view com file), by
> replacing the two lines mentioned above with
>       SPACEGROUP P41
> This is a bit inconvenient though.
>
> Any ideas what is going wrong with the standard way?
>
> Cheers,
> Jan
> --
> Jan Abendroth
> Emerald BioStructures
> Seattle / Bainbridge Island WA, USA
> home: Jan.Abendroth_at_gmail.com
> work: JAbendroth_at_embios.com
> http://www.emeraldbiostructures.com

------
Randy J. Read
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research      Tel: + 44 1223 336500
Wellcome Trust/MRC Building                   Fax: + 44 1223 336827
Hills Road                                    E-mail: rj...@cam.ac.uk
Cambridge CB2 0XY, U.K.                       www-structmed.cimr.cam.ac.uk