This is interesting.  In principle m and D should provide an optimum map, and
at high resolution they do a reasonable job.
The answer about occupancy is a good point.

You don't say what resolution your data is at, but maybe it is rather low?
I suspect that below ~ 3A the estimates of both m and D are somewhat unreliable
- they are fitted to resolution curves and are influenced severely by scaling
problems, all of which are more serious at low resolution.   What about
consulting Garib! He must be near by..