Hi all,

I am dealing with a molecular replacement problem for a 60KDa protein composed
of 2 rigid domains joined by a flexible linker which can move relative to each
other. Sequence identity for my best model is 46% evenly spread, so in
principle this should be a tractable problem.

Then the problems start to pile up:

a)      The unit cell is 56.7Å, 288.5Å, 69.4Å, 90 93.5, 90. Spacegroup P21.
Rmerge 12% to 2.4Å. The data also merges relatively well (Rmerge 16%) in P222
with the same a, c and b axes, now of course in that order. In the P21 case,
that corresponds to 4 monomers in the asymmetric unit with a solvent content of
approx. 50%, giving me 8 domains to find if I separate them.

b)      The 288 axis means that my data show some overlap in almost all
orientations (might be corrected in the future with new datasets), so that my
low resolution data are likely unreliable.

c)       Intensity distributions suggest twinning in either point groups.
Actually, they are beyond the perfect twinning case, which I attribute to the
reflection overlaps making the strong reflections weaker (integration box too
small) and the small stronger (from tails of adjacent strong ones). Of course
the latest would mean that the twin fraction estimation is unreliable, but all
moments, etc show perfect twin statistics, so I am assuming that there is
indeed perfect twinning of some sort.

So, the question is, what is the best strategy to deal with this many (4 or 8)
body / noisy / twinned problem?

I am trying EPMR with many bodies, but I suspect the twinning would throw it
out of the right track, and one domain seems to be too little of the
diffracting matter to show any sort of discriminations between solutions and
non-solutions if do the usual serial searches. I plan to let autotracing
programs be the judge of success, but I am not sure of how well those can deal
with twinning. Can Arp-Warp use twinned data?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Jose.

Jose Antonio Cuesta-Seijo, PhD
Carlsberg Laboratory