Dear B. Vijay,

for single-wavelength (as opposed to Laue) X-ray crystallographic data
collection it is in general helpful to mount your crystal in an
arbitrary orientation. If you happen to mount it such that a symmetry
axis is parallel to the rotation axis, you may not be able to collect
fully complete data.
Indexing routines figure out the orientation of your crystal. After
integrating all reflections, the orientation is refined (depending on
the integration program you use).

For anomalous data you may want to collect in inverse beam mode which
makes sure you collect Bijvoet pairs close in time and thus reduce the
effect of radiation damage. As drawback you risk possible systematic
errors in the Bijvoet pairs, but I am not sure this is a major
drawback for MX crystals.

I recomend you take a look a Zbigniew Dauter's article
"Data-collection strategies", Acta Cryst D55 (1999) p. 1703-1717
doi:10.1107/S0907444999008367

Best,
Tim

On 10/27/2012 07:58 AM, Vijayakumar.B wrote:
> Dear CCP4BB users,
>

> I have some basic questions in the data collection. Please give me
> some ideas to get clear in this part.
>

> 1)    Why orientation of the crystal is importance?
>

> 2)    If we mounted the crystal in arbitrary, what it leads?
>

> 3)    How to find out crystal misseting angels in the data
> collection if we mounted arbitrary?
>

> 4)    What should we make clear before collecting anomalous signal
> data ?
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> With regards
>
> B. Vijay