From: Ethan Merritt
Sent: 2013-01-25 01:36
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] B-factors

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 03:52:12 pm Urmi Dhagat wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been refining twinned data (at 3.1 A resolution) using refmac. My R
> and Rfree values are 19.6 and 26.2 respectively with NCS restraints and
> isotropic B-factor refinement.. I am not sure weather it is a good idea to
> refine individual B-factors at this resolution.
>
> I have also tried refining the same model in phenix but this time not
> refining the Bfactors. My Rfactor and Rfree are 25 and 32 respectively.
> Refining with TLS in Phenix drops R factors to 23 and 29.

I would suspect it is possible to do better than that.

My thoughts on how to approach it were written up for a past CCP4 Study Weekend
and appeared in Acta D last year:

        "To B or not to B"  Acta D 68:468 (2012).

You can find a link to the PDF on the TLSMD web site
    http://skuld.bmsc.washington.edu/~tlsmd/references.html

                Ethan

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health Sciences Bldg