Hi Fred,

>From: CCP4 bulletin board [CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] on behalf of vellieux
>[frederic.velli...@ibs.fr]
> When compiling Fortran77 code (these are the flags used for compilation:
> -o ../bin/$1 -std=legacy -Wno-globals -w -O3 -malign-double
> -funroll-loops -ffast-math -fno-second-underscore $1.f , followed by the
> libraries on that same compile line)

> I get errors (at run time) of the type:

> At line 138 of file program.f (unit = 6, file = 'stdout')
> Fortran runtime error: Missing initial left parenthesis in format

It might be something to do with fixed vs free format, although I'd have
thought the -std=legacy should have dealt with that.

You could try adding -ffixed-format and maybe experiment with different values
for -ffixed-line-length

Things that have bitten me in the past include different backslash
interpretations, so you could try -fbackslash and also -fd-lines-as-comments if
there are lines beginning with a D.

If none of that works, maybe you could post the bit of code around the lines
where you're seeing the error message to see if someone can spot what's
tripping the compiler up.

Best wishes,

Jens