Dear Eugene,

Personally I have a habit of using bzip2 for archival of data.
Negative points: very slow. Positive points: universally supported,
lossless. I have lots of data. To be honest most of it I keep in the
native format.

I expect to see plenty of comments of lossless vs. lossy compression now :o)

N.B. well processed unmerged raw-from-integration .x, INTEGRATE.HKL,
mosflm mtz represents pretty good lossy compression.

Long term storage: depends on your definition of long term, which will
also depend on what you want to do with them... I would guess
useful-long-term would correspond to ~ 10 years to ~ 20 years tops. In
the past I have written data to tape which I have never attempted to
recover. Everything I now have on central file servers (raid systems)
on local fast drives and local cheap USB drives which sit unplugged on
my desk. Local fast drives fail (more frequently than the
manufacturers would admit), raids fail (less frequently but more
catastrophically), local cheap USB drives fail. I bank on them not all
failing at the same time :o) esp. the ones I leave unplugged.

The cheap drives store about 2TB in something the size of a paperback
book and are relatively universal with USB connections. But they will
fail one day. You weigh up how sad you will be at the loss against the
cost of being more certain of not losing the data...

Cheerio,

Graeme