Isn't lowering the symmetry equivalent to using multiple
models/conformations for one map? I remember seeing this done with the
infamous MSBA structure from a few years ago, so caveat emptor I guess. And
further, wouldn't using strict NCS make things equivalent to the
higher-symmetry space group? And then violating the NCS in places would
then just be equivalent to modelling multiple conformations, no?

JPK

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Phoebe A. Rice <pr...@uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Hi Zbyszek,
>   If the issue is perfect twinning, I agree - good point!
>   But you don't want to confuse people who simply have
> nearly-but-not-quite crystallographic symmetry (OK, I'm being a bit
> pedagogical here, but a lot of newbies read the BB).  We had a case of P31
> that was so close to P61 we actually solved the molecular replacement
> problem in P61, then expanded it back and re-rigid-bodied it.  We've played
> similar games with translational pseudo-symmetry (ignoring the weak spots
> at first).  In cases like that it is important to properly reprocess the
> data in the lower symmetry space group (or smaller unit cell) because there
> is real information in those small differences.  However, the point about
> Rfree holds for twinning or rotational pseudo-symmetry: the Rfree flags
> should be expanded by the xtal symmetry operators, not re-picked in the
> lower symmetry space group.
>            Phoebe
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Phoebe A. Rice
> Dept. of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
> The University of Chicago
> 773 834 1723; pr...@uchicago.edu
> http://bmb.bsd.uchicago.edu/Faculty_and_Research/
> http://www.rsc.org/shop/books/2008/9780854042722.asp

Jacob Pearson Keller, PhD

Looger Lab/HHMI Janelia Farms Research Campus

19700 Helix Dr, Ashburn, VA 20147

email: kell...@janelia.hhmi.org