Hi Andrea,

Any choice you make about a resolution cut-off based on a rule of thumb can be
called into question by a referee who uses a different rule of thumb. So if you
choose a metric + cut-off that is anything less than very conservative (say
I/sigI > 1), you have to be able to defend your choice either with a reference
or with evidence from experiments. This is where the 'paired refinement' of the
Karplus and Diederichs paper kicks in: you can show that you can get useful
information out of the extra high resolution reflections by comparing
refinement results.

So what you can do is first solve your structure, build and refine using a
conservative resolution cut-off. Once you are nearing the final stages of the
process you can gradually go for higher resolutions using the paired refinement
procedure. That way you have some results to support you choice of resolution
cut-off. Who knows, when you reach the best resolution cut-off you may be able
to add some more details to your structure model, that you would have missed
otherwise.

If you think that doing the paired refinement is too much work, you can try
PDB_REDO. If you give it a PDB file with a resolution cut-off in REMARK 2 or 3
lower than the maximal resolution of your reflection file, it will
automatically use paired refinement to find the best resolution cut-off (yes,
this is a self-plug!).

HTH,
Robbie Joosten