Dear all,
            I have 2 queries regarding RMSD calculation and interpretation.

1. When 2 residue stretches are superposed using CCP4 superpose, the log file
shows the atomwise-deviations between matched residue pairs. How to find the
total deviation/RMSD between a specified residue pair - should the RMSDs of the
individual atoms be summed over, or is there some other formula?

2. Residues are not static; this dynamic nature is evident from variations (for
a given residue; by variations, I mean that the residues don't superpose
completely) when multiple chains of the same structure (from multiple chains in
AU of a PDB, or from different PDBs) are superposed. My question is: is there
an RMSD cut-off below which the variation can be considered as thermal
fluctutation, and above which they can be said to be a different 'conformation'
or 'state'?

        Thanking all,
regards,
ansuman