I wanted to thank everyone who responded,
for a whole bunch of advice and suggestions!
Sergei

On 29-Jul-13 12:22 PM, Sergei Strelkov wrote:
Dear all,

In old times I, just like about any protein crystallographer,
used to work on a cluster of SGI/IRIX workstations with complete NFS-based
cross-mounting of hard disks.

A typical operation included:
1. A single home directory location for every user:
if my home directory was on workstation X, I would by default use
it after logging on any of the workstations in the cluster.
2. A single location for all software for general use.
(And, obviously, 3. The ability to log on any node from
any terminal; today this is done via the 'ssh -X' command).

I wondered if someone could give us an advice on a painless
setup enabling 1. and 2., for a small cluster of Ubuntu computers.
We (will) have about five similar Dell computers in a local (192.168.*.*)
network (wired/wireless). Any tips on the hardware (especially the
LAN and network disks) are also welcome.

Many thanks,
Sergei

--
Prof. Sergei V. Strelkov