Van: Andrew Leslie
Verzonden: 22-8-2013 10:01
Aan: Robbie Joosten
CC: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Onderwerp: Re: [ccp4bb] TLS group assignment near poorly ordered loop

Hi Robbie,

                 I was interested in a couple of things in your response:

1. Slightly different boundaries giving surprisingly different results.

Doesn't this suggest that the system is too poorly determined to justify using
TLS (and there is the issue that Ethan Merritt has raised many times about the
problems at the junctions of TLS groups).

2. Getting very large differences in B-factors of connected atoms.

I have not seen this problem using refmac, although I have seen it on several
occasions when structures are refined with PHENIX refine, especially at lowish
resolution. Quite possibly there are PHENIX parameters that one can change to
minimise this effect (apart from using one B-factor for a group of atoms), I'm
not sufficiently familiar with the program.

I think that I would personally go for option 3, as the anisotropy may well be
different for the different conformities that the loop can adopt, and in any
case it sounds as if it is not sufficiently well determined to justify adding
parameters.

However, as you suggest, the best thing is probably to try all options and see
if the data can really discriminate between them.

Cheers,

Andrew