Von: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] Im Auftrag von Enrico
Stura
Gesendet: Dienstag, 27. August 2013 11:58
An: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Betreff: Re: [ccp4bb] AW: [ccp4bb] cryoprotection

Herman,

The trick you suggest is not as valid as you may think. The ice rings can
originate from the crystal itself.
If you crystallize in a high concentration PEG precipitant you will avoid ice
rings, but if you transfer or soak your crystals in the same solution the high
molecular weight PEG will not enter the crystal lattice and you will still get
ice rings.
I have a picture of this in:
Vera, L., Stura, E. A. (2013) Strategies for protein cryocrystallography.
Crystal Growth & Design, e-print
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/cg301531f PDF: Figure3 Page G.

So cryoprotectants need to penetrate the crystal lattice to prevent ice rings,
but even in the presence of ice rings the data can be used.

Regarding optimization:
The main problem you encounter in cryoprotection is that some compounds like
glycerol and ethylene glycol solubilize protein crystals, but if you create a
mixture of various compounds that is precipitation-solubilization neutral, then
there is no real need for optimization.

Enrico.

--
Enrico A. Stura D.Phil. (Oxon) ,    Tel: 33 (0)1 69 08 4302 Office
Room 19, Bat.152,                         Tel: 33 (0)1 69 08 9449    Lab