There's definitely a case for working formats, but as we think about improved
working binary formats following on from MTZ (maybe based on HDF5 containers),
particularly for unmerged data  (for example in the DIALS project), it makes
sense to use [mm]/[image]/cif definitions where appropriate, for ease of
conversion and to reduce confusion. However not all data items that are needed
(or are desirable) are currently defined, so there will need to be some
extensions. There is a particular problem with multiple lattices (e.g.
non-merohedral twins) where a single observation (intensity) may have multiple
indices hkl attached to it, and this doesn't fit neatly into a rectangular
array without padding.

Phil