On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Marco Lolicato <chimbio...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway, for those reasons and more, I was wondering if maybe is nowadays
> needed to revisit the peer-review process.

Apologies for the lengthy response, but I really do think the current
publication system is broken, just not for the same reasons as others.

One of the interesting suggestions put forth by Michael Eisen (PLoS
co-founder, and author of the previously-linked rant), among others, is
that "post-publication peer review" should become more widely used and
partially substitute for the current system.  This has always been done
informally at conferences, journal clubs, ccp4bb emails, and so on, but
this is all very unstructured and not always public.  The only formal
outlets are by writing a letter to the editor of a journal, which is a very
time-consuming process, or by writing a more thorough follow-up article
dissecting the problems.  There are some advantages to this - the discovery
of fraudulent structures would probably not have been as widely noticed if
the analysis took the form of blog comments.  However, the overhead (in
time and effort) is so massive as to deter all but the most determined
scientists.  At a minimum, I'd like to see a more structured but very
lightweight way to discuss *and track* problems with the literature,
ideally at the source(s).  For instance, if I go to this PDB entry, there
is absolutely no indication of anything suspicious:

http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/explore/explore.do?structureId=2hr0

If I follow the publication links, I can see that there is a "brief
communication arising" associated with the article:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v444/n7116/full/nature05258.html

but since Nature's editors watered down the letter and accepted a response
that did nothing to address any of the questions, it's difficult for an
non-expert to reach any conclusions.  Few of the multiple derived databases
have anything either; Proteopedia is the big exception.  One has to do a
surprising amount of digging to find out that the senior author's
university publicly disclaimed the structure as fraudulent.  There is also
a very large volume of comment on the ccp4bb, including some excellent
specific (illustrated!) examples of problems with the structure.  But none
of this is centrally available, because the journal (and databases) do not
provide any mechanism other than the lengthy formal route.

It's true that a little Googling will quickly uncover problems with this
particular paper.  However, from what I've seen there are depressingly many
scientists who are unable to use Google even for the questions they already
know to ask.  And this is an exceptional case; there are many other
problematic structures (anyone working in methods development probably has
a long list) for which no such information is available, because we don't
have time to write a formal letter to the journal editors, especially since
there's no guarantee that they'll even pay attention to us.  It would be
far more efficient if I could simply post a comment at the source saying
"ligand density does not support binding - see attached image".

In the long term, if there was a better system for this kind of peer
review, the current system could mostly go away.  Post a manuscript on
arXiv (or equivalent), let the community comment on it and rate it, and the
eventual consensus determines its credibility and importance.  Scientists
would stop wasting months tailoring the paper to fit into arbitrary and
obsolete length restrictions or to impress the editors of high-profile
journals or please a handful of anonymous reviewers.  There would be no
disincentive to publish negative results or brief technical write-ups.
Both publication and review would be immediate, inexpensive, and public.
The scientific literature would become truly self-correcting over any time
scale.

Undoubtedly there are issues with this, and I'm sure there are other
approaches that could work too.  But the present system is both horribly
inefficient and too permissive of outright junk, and I think it's really
holding us back.

-Nat