Dear all,
I have a question regarding Molecular Replacement using low sequence identity templates.

I have a 2.7 Angstrom dataset of a heterodimeric protein-protein complex (space group C 1 2 1, no twinning detected using xtriage). For the first component homologs are available, but for the other the best found template only has 20 % sequence similarity. Strangely, I cannot place the first component directly, but the second component can be placed (after trimming the template with chainsaw) using phaser with a TFZ score of 12 and a LLG of about 1200. Although at least 2 NCS copies of the heterodimer are expected based on the unit cell parameters, only 1 copy of the second component gets placed. If I try to place the first component based on the .sol file of the first MR solution, the TFZ score for the second placement is only about 3.5, but if I then try to place this second MR solution (2 components) as a whole I get a RFZ of 8, TFZ of 16 and a LLG of about 1000.

However, none of the MR solutions I obtained seems to refine in PHENIX. Using autobuild does not lower the R/Rfree values which seem to get stuck at an R/Rfree of 0.40/0.47. I have tried trimming off loops, simulated annealing, DEN-refinement, morphing and MR-rosetta, but nothing seems to improve the model.. Also, in every MR solution only half of the asymmetric unit seems to be filled, but phaser fails to place more units..As I am seriously starting to doubt the actual content of the crystals, I tried Nearest Cell to search for similar space group, but without any hits.

So here is my question. Is it possible to get TFZ/LLG values this high in C 1 2 1 with a completely incorrect model by chance, or can I assume that this MR solution points out that what I think is in the crystal is actually there? And secondly, as I am a bit stuck here, are there any new strategies I can try to tackle this problem? Off course, experimental phasing is an option, but the crystals grew slowly over e few months and I only had 1 drop with 1 crystal, so reproducing the crystals might be though..

Thanks for any tips and best regards,

Jan