Dear Amr,

the gel is some kind of phase separation enriched in your protein (perhaps indeed aggregates). The fact that both the crystals and the "gel" gives blue tryptophan fluorescence clearly shows that both are protein.

I think it is quite frequent that these kind of phase separations serve as nucleation points.

Well done, shoot'em!

Matthias

Dr. Matthias Zebisch
Division of Structural Biology,
Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics,
University of Oxford,
Roosevelt Drive,
Oxford OX3 7BN, UK

Phone (+44) 1865 287549;