Katherine

I am not exactly sure what sort of tool you would like to use, but there are
a couple of options found here...
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/pdbe-as/pdbetemplate/

The last option DB search
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/pdbe-as/pdbesearch/

allows you upload a fragment of structure - a small number of residues that are arranged in space, typically an active site. For example, you can upload an example of the catalytic triad (or quartet) as a PDB file. You need only provide the atom records for 6 or less residues cut out of a normal
PDB file from any source.   This will search the
entire PDB for this arrangement of residues based on the CA atoms or side chain atoms; the
latter is slower and can take a minute.

The search will either match residue type exactly with geometry, or match similar residues (ie acid to acid).

The three other tools from the main page
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/pdbe-as/pdbetemplate/

allow you carry out various analysis of the PDB using a pre calculated set of residue arrangements such as the catalytic triad / quartet. These 1972 residue arrangements (some are active sites) were generated by statistical data mining using a Bayesian statistical methods to identify these
residue patterns.  You can browse these:
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/pdbe-as/pdbetemplate/DMfragmentsBrowse.jsp

search 1 protein with 1 fragment :
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/pdbe-as/pdbetemplate/DMSingleFit.jsp

or label a single protein with all the 1972 data mined fragments. A sort of auto-annotation
of a structure with predefined fragments.

You should be aware that the fragment database was calculated using a mathematical target which does not say what biological role of the fragments in the data. They are
provided as a means to carry out your own research.

Tom

I don't know whether your question is specifically for protein-ligand interactions, protein-protein interactions, internal protein interactions, etc., but one place to start is to look at some of the database tools already available on-line, including, for example, CREDO from Tom Blundell's group, which is a nice database of pairwise interactions (intra- and intermolecular) between ligands and proteins.

There are also commercial products that do interaction searches in the PDB, but they are quite expensive.
P. Shing Ho, Ph.D.
Professor & Chair
Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
1870 Campus Delivery