Dear all,
        thank you for your reply. I would summarize my concerns and opinions,
so
far:

1) for QTLS (non-merohedral twinning - non intersecting lattices) I think one
should consider the variables as independent and random and it is possible to
recover the true intensities of a unique lattice from the stronger diffracting
one (see for example Jenni & Ban, 2009, Acta D65, 101-111). Hence, the
quadratic formula (reported fomr Jens Kaiser) can be applied;

2) for TLS (merohedral twinning - perfectly overlapping spots) I think one
should not consider the two variable independent since they are related by
alpha (see the formulas I reported in my first message). In this case, I think
the right formula should be that reported by Tim Grune, that as far as I know
overestimates the true error but in this case the quadratic is not applicable.

Therefore, one would be prone to conclude that the uncertainties associated to
merohedral-twinned crystals are higher than regular crystals or non-merohedral
crystals. What's your opinion about?