Dear all,

I have collected ~160 degrees of data on a new crystal form of a protein which
has already been solved. Data was processed with XDS and reindex, scaled and
truncated with Aimless. Both XDS and Pointless suggested a Laue group of
P6/mmm with a possible space group of P6122 or P6522. Stats showed an overall
Rmerge of 0.131 but an Rpim of 0.041 (multiplicity/redundancy of 19.1), a
completeness of 99.1% and resolution of 2.8Ang.

With cell dimensions of 63.1 63.1 243, only one protein chain can be found in
the asymmetric unit (two copies would leave a solvent content of 8%). I ran
phaser with all alternative space groups and a single solution in P6522 with a
TFZ of 10.0.

I then performed 20 Refmac cycles ending up with an R/Rfree of 35.5/45.5. I
open the structure and map in Coot and could see that there was a large
conformational change of helix-turn-helix actually becoming just a long helix
(https://www.dropbox.com/s/4s6g8apatsi5xcg/Before_Building.png) and then
dimerizing through the long helix with one of the symmetry mates.

This section was rebuilt
(https://www.dropbox.com/s/5j7tv0i5yq3mxxx/After_Building.png) and ran through
Refmac again resulting in an R/Rfree of 35.5/44.3. Looking through the rest of
the structure I see nothing else really to be modeled. Nothing that could bring
the Rfactors down to a reasonable range.

I have therefore tried several things. I ran the structure through Zanuda
server to look at other space group possibilities. The server suggested I was
in the correct space group. However I did reprocess the data to P6, P3, P312,
P321, C2221, P2 and C2, and reran phaser in "search all alternative space
groups" using the original search model but found no solutions. I did reprocess
the data in P1, though I did not collect enough data.

Twinning tests show no twinning. Although that does not mean there is no
twinning, I can see that P6522 has no twin laws. Does that mean no twinning can
occur in P6522 or that it can occur but there is no law to be able to separate
the amplitudes?

I also collected data on a single point mutation of the protein. Although this
diffracted to a slightly weaker resolution (3.2Ang), I also observe the same
problem of good maps in P6522 but no solution in the groups described above, a
clear indication that this helix has elongated but terrible Rfactors.

Based upon that the maps look good in P6522 do you believe that I have solved
the structure in the correct space group but my data collection is at fault or
in fact that I have some form of pseudosymmetry or something else going on and
that the space group has lower symmetry but not in the space groups I have
checked. Or is it something else.

Any suggestions, criticisms or you need further information please contact me
and enjoy your weekend.