From: Roger Rowlett <rrowl...@colgate.edu<mailto:rrowl...@colgate.edu>>
Date: Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 7:23 AM
To: "CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK<mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>"
<CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK<mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>>
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] preparation of citrate buffer pH3-6.5

The easiest way to produce repeatable conditions is to titrate a stock solution
(say 1M) of citric acid with NaOH to the desired pH and use that to mix your
screen. That's what Hampton does anyway.

If fine sampling pH, you can mix various ratios of pH 3 and 6.5 buffers. The pH
won't be linear with mixing ratio, but will be easily repeatable. The actual pH
of the final, magic solution can be directly measured if desired. Calculations
will never be exactly right; pKa values are ionic strength dependent. Better to
measure.

Roger Rowlett

On Jan 30, 2014 2:37 AM, "sreetama das"