Seems it's worth thinking about this as an experiment that has actually been done: BB and wiki have been available in parallel for many years now; so where has all the activity happened, where do people go for information - and more to the point, where are other people happy to volunteer information?

According to what you say, the experiment has a clear outcome.

Even crystallographers are social beings, and thrive on interaction. Wikis don't interact.

I should add I'm not at all clear what problem is being addressed here: if I get an email I don't want to read, I make a tiny hand-movement (= hit delete) and it vanishes forever. Are people suggesting we abandon an empirically proven mechanism merely to save me the need for this tiny hand-movement?

phx