Dear Kay,

> Concerning usage of programs, everybody has his/her preferences, but what
> could be simpler than a 2-liner XDSCONV.INP like
> INPUT_FILE=XDS_ASCII.HKL
> OUTPUT_FILE=temp.hkl CCP4  ! or CCP4_F or CCP4_I or SHELX or CNS
> and then running XDSCONV by running "xdsconv"? At least there's not much room
> for mistakes.

Exactly!

>> I beg to disagree, and this was the point of my question. The output of
>> XDSCONV literally says that 190093 reflections are read, and [of those, my
>> interpretation] 44047 are accepted. I may be a pedant but I can't read that
>> output in any other way. To me it looks like it is reading only the
>> reflections that already fall into the asymmetric unit and is ignoring all
>> the others. So if XDSCONV is really doing what it is supposed to, I would
>> suggest rephrasing that output line.
>
> good point about the rephrasing. I'll see to making the wording consistent
> between XDSCONV and XDS.

Thanks for that.

> But irrespective of the wording, it does take all observations into account
> when calculating the intensity (and amplitude) of the unique reflections (as
> it should - ignoring reflections would not make sense, and would produce
> significantly worse data).

Great, this was just the reassurance I was looking for.

> However, it does so not by calculating the geometric mean (which you seem to
> assume), but by calculating the weighted mean. Weighting is done with the
> variances, and here it also does not differ from (c)truncate or other
> programs.

Sorry, that was a typo born of thinking I could quote the manual from memory.

>> But yes, pedantry aside, I will start using pointless in my csh pipelines.
>
> please report back whether that changes (or even improves) your results! It
> is always very good when people compare programs in a meaningful way, but
> from my own experience I can say that meaningful comparisons are sometimes
> not entirely straightforward to get right. (for the German-speaking: "wer
> misst, misst Mist!")

Probably I will still be in too much of a hurry each time to make a meaningful
and thorough comparison, but if time allows I will compare XDSCONV with
pointless/scala.

/Derek