Those who use lysozyme as a model protein should note that fungal spores of
an unknown strain can have a dramatic effect on lysozyme crystal
nucleation, as noticed by my student many years ago (I wasn't completely
happy with the report because we never knew what we were working with!).

Chayen, N. E., Radcliffe, J. W., & Blow, D. M. (1993). Control of
nucleation in the crystallization of lysozyme. *Protein Science*, *2*(1),
113-118.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pro.5560020112/full

I've often wondered why crystallization experiments at room temp don't
become a sea of bacteria and fungi within a week.  Is it because the high
precipitant concs used stop growth?  After all, medical saline is only 150
mM - much less than the average NaCl conc used for crystallization, which
is about 1.7M.  I guess not many bugs can grow in 20% PEG either.

Patrick

--
 patr...@douglas.co.uk    Douglas Instruments Ltd.
 Douglas House, East Garston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG17 7HD, UK

 http://www.douglas.co.uk
 Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034
 Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36