From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Roberto
Battistutta
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:09 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Rmerge, Rmeas, I/sigma, Mn(I/sd)

Hi,
in the Rupp book the following relation is reported (on pag 415):
Rmerge   0.8/<I/s(I)>
referring to a relation of "the linear merging R-value with the signal-to-noise
ratio".

in a 2006 CCP4bb, Manfred Weiss reported:
Rrim (or Rmeas) = 0.8*sd(i)/I

so,

First question: is it Rmerge or Rmeas (Rrim) that we are dealing with?

Second question: at the denominator (of the Rupp way to write), it is the
aimless Mn(I/sd) (usually indicated as the real signal-to-noise ratio) or the
aimless I/sigma (very different from Mn(I/sd) with high redundancy)?

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Best,
Roberto.

Roberto Battistutta
Associate Professor
Department of Chemistry
University of Padua
via Marzolo 1, 35131 Padova - ITALY
tel. +39.049.827.5262
fax. +39.049.827.5829
roberto.battistu...@unipd.it
www.chimica.unipd.it/roberto.battistutta/
VIMM (Venetian Institute of Molecular Medicine) via Orus 2, 35129 Padova -
ITALY tel. +39.049.7923.236 fax +39.049.7923.250 www.vimm.it