Department of Chemistry
Colgate University
13 Oak Drive
Hamilton, NY 13346

tel: (315)-228-7245
ofc: (315)-228-7395
fax: (315)-228-7935
email: rrowl...@colgate.edu

On 4/17/2014 4:13 PM, Faisal Tarique wrote:
Dear all

Can anybody please explain what is the classical metal ion coordination for Mg2+, Ca+ and Na+ with Oxygen atom and the average distance with these metal ions

You can find answers at the MESPEUS database (http://mespeus.bch.ed.ac.uk/MESPEUS/)
..does the distance vary with the type of metal ion and its coordination with oxygen atom
Yes. There are "typical" metal-ligand bond distances that are sensitive to the metal ion, coordination number, and ligand atom.
..what is the best way to identify the correct metal ion in the electron density in the vicinity of negatively charged molecule mostly oxygen containing molecule..
A combination of both the bond distances and the coordination geometry may give you a clue. Bear in mind that X-ray bond-distances in proteins may not be that accurate--not like small molecule crystallography. But the distances can still be useful nonetheless.
In one of my paper the reviewer has asked me to check whether the octahedrally coordinated Mg+ is Ca+ ion..and similarly raised doubt about the identity of the Na+ ion as well..his argument was based on metal ion to oxygen distance
This may be challenging, but the MESPEUS database may give you some clues as to what the typical ranges of bond distances should be. The best way to prove the existence of a bound metal is to do ICP-OES or TXRF of your protein sample. Of course, Na, Mg, and Ca are common contaminants/adventitious metals, so this can be challenging, too. Especially if you need these in your buffer to populate the protein.
..I am attaching the figure with this mail..i request you to please shed some light on this area and help me in clearing some doubts regarding this.

--
Regards

Faisal
School of Life Sciences