Dear Monica,

if you are new to phasing I recommend you first use the ``standard''
values in shelx c/d/e, either using one of my tutorials or, even better,
the GUI hkl2map, available at http://webapps.embl-hamburg.de/hkl2map/.

If your native data are about 2A or better, and your structure is a
protein, shelxe should be able to trace a major part of it even from
very poor starting phases, making it unnecessary to try the below hint.

If you do, shelxd is steared by an input file containing various
keywords. One is the SHEL command with the upper and lower resolution
limit. If you prepare 26 input files (all with different names) and vary
the second number in SHEL from 2.5 2.6 2.7 ... 5.0 you scan the
different resolution cut-offs. However, shelxd has become less sensitive
to the resolution cut-off, in particular in combination with
auto-tracing in shelxe.

The second part, Emin, refers to the keyword ESEL. Its default value is
1.5. If you lower the number to 1.2, say, shelxd uses more data for
locating the substructure, but since this way you may also include
noise, the exact number is difficult to tell in advance.

Best wishes,
Tim

--
Dr Tim Gruene