Hi

Marcus Mueller (from Dectris, who develop and manufacture the Pilatus) did some work on this a couple of years ago and determined that an oscillation angle ~ 0.5x the mosaicity of the crystal (using the XDS value of mosaicity, which is not the same as Mosflm's); the abstract says -

The results show that fine ’-slicing can substantially improve scaling statistics and anomalous signal provided that the rotation angle is comparable to half the crystal mosaicity.

Acta Cryst. (2012). D68, 42-56    [ doi:10.1107/S0907444911049833 ]
Optimal fine
-slicing for single-photon-counting pixel detectors

M. Mueller, M. Wang and C. Schulze-Briese

My reading of this is that there is still a place for strategy calculations.