Dear All,
               Is there any protocol for preparing a sample from
(cleaning/dissolving) protein crystals for verifying their mass through mass
spectrometry or SDS-PAGE? How many protein crystals are required? Should they
all be from the same well, or can they be from different wells with slight
changes in protein concentration/precipitant concentration/ pH? Should the
crystals be cleaned with the reservoir solution and then dissolved in the
protein buffer?

I am getting very thin, needle-like crystals which are too tiny for mounting.
Adding Izit dye has also not been conclusive. Similar looking crystals have
appeared in 3 conditions. Changing
precipitant concentration, protein concentration, pH , and seeding have
made no difference so far. I wish to determine whether the full protein is
crystallizing, or only some fragment. The protein molecular weight is ~22KDa,
and the crystals take ~3 weeks to grow.

Thanks in advance,
sreetama