Dear Niu,

It is very unlikely that MBP will be disordered. We use that protein a
standard for SAXS calibration and gel filtration it is extremely well
behaved.
There is an excellent review about MBP enhanced crystallization (by Moon et
al)  and you can do a quick survey of the PDB to find the cornucopia of
structures obtained using this strategy. I would suggest maybe an ensemble
MR search in phaser using a sum of all conformations adopted by MBP in
these different structures. You have 4 A data and it is difficult sometimes
to pull out the solution at low resolution. Trimming the few disordered
loops in the MBP model could help you, so you avoid throwing away the good
solution because of a few clashes when it packs solutions after rotation
and translation searches.
We recently solved one structure MBP + target protein of about 10 kDal
(2.7A) and it worked extremely well. A linker of 30 aminoacids connected
the target to MBP and it ended up tightly packed against the carrier MBP
protein even if  we were still missing about 25 residues of linker that was
actually part of the natural sequence of the protein (we had to generate 5
constructs to get it right).
Another approach, may not be smart but it should get the job done, is to
selenolabel your fusion and crystallize it. MBP has 5 or 6 methionines ,
even if you target has none, this will be enough to phase (although you are
only at 4 A if I understood well). That should enable you to lock the MBP
in position and see what is going on in your crystals.

Good luck

Pascal Egea

--
Pascal F. Egea, PhD