George,

Remember that scattering from every point in the cell contributes to every
reflection; the R-value is a global metric of agreement between the model and
the data. Hence, calculating the R-value for a few selected residues is not a
sensible thing to do, unless you want to ask how well your particular fragment
explains the scattering from the entire crystal (which I'm guessing is not the
case for a 23 amino-acid fragment).

If you're interested in assessing the agreement between model and map for a
particular fragment, you might want to consider instead the real-space R value
and the related real-space correlation coefficient.

You might also consider some reading to help bone up on the basics:

http://www.amazon.com/Protein-Crystallography-Eaton-E-Lattman/dp/0801888085  (a
primer, and a shameless plug)

http://www.amazon.com/Biomolecular-Crystallography-Principles-Application-Structural/dp/0815340818
  (the detailed stuff; essential)

Cheers,

Pat Loll

On 5 Jun 2014, at 11:10 AM, George Devaniranjan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First off I am pretty new to CCP4/X-ray crystallography so please bear with
> me as I try to explain my question.
>
> I was looking at a protein structure from the PDB (let's say 1aho.pdb).
>
> I have the corresponding MTZ file. I wanted to calculate the R-factor for
> some selected residues (lets say 17-40).
>
> I can calculate the R factor for the whole protein using the (MTZ + pdb file)
> SFCheck tool.
>
> Is there a way to calculate the R-factor for a segment of the protein?
>
> I can generate a masked map using COOT as follows:
> Extensions--> Maps--> Mask Map by Atom Selection (inverse)
> But the result is a map and not a MTZ file
> (the format I need for the next step SFCheck)
>
> I tried using NCSMask but it did not work out.
> Could someone suggest where I am going wrong in trying to calculate R for a
> small part of the protein?
>
> Thank you,
> George

Patrick J. Loll, Ph. D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Director, Biochemistry Graduate Program
Drexel University College of Medicine
Room 10-102 New College Building
245 N. 15th St., Mailstop 497