XDS_ASCII.HKL or scalepack format ('no merge original index') can be read
directly by Pointless which should (I hope) do a better job than COMBAT.

Aimless (& Pointless) assume two reflections are part of the same one if they
have the same "true" hkl (same ISYM) and adjacent batch numbers (and a few
other conditions, e.g. total fraction). Output from COMBAT may be wrong in this
respect

Phil