I general I agree with Tim, but provided it doesn't kill your protein, oxidation of selenomethionine can actually enhance your anomalous signal considerably (http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S0907444901008666).

The reason for this is because the "white line" peak in the SeMet x-ray absorption spectrum is actually a pre-edge feature. Although the "edge" itself represents the point when the incoming photon has just enough energy to completely eject a core electron from the Se atom, it is also possible for the electron to be not exactly "ejected" but merely promoted to an empty orbital with energy a few eV below that of a free electron in a vacuum. It is because of these extra landing sites that the near-edge structure of the x-ray absorption specturm (XANES or NEXAFS) can be influenced by chemistry. Specifically, the "peak" of the normal SeMet spectrum is a 1s-4p transition (http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/es00009a043 http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S0909049506048898), and the more oxidized the Se atom is, the less occupied the 4p level becomes and the bigger the while line gets. And, of course, the bigger the while line the more f" phasing signal you get.

Unfortunately, the extra oxygens stuck on the Se can sterically disrupt the local environment of the SeMet, and fear of this is probably why so many people have not tried it. However, if you're desperate for that extra little "boost" of phasing signal, it might be a refreshing change to do the opposite of trying to keep your protein from oxidizing all the time. Perhaps even adding a dash of H2O2. The worst your crystals can do is not diffract.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist