Shiv,

PEG1500 and PEG3350 are not the same because of the nature of their synthesis
and manufacture.  They are a polydisperse and semi-purified products of an
ethylene oxide condensation.  So while they are described as
H-(CH2-CH2-O)<n>-OH, the value of <n> and its ranges are quite different.  Some
of the PEG molecules in both with be the same size, but PEG1500 will have a lot
more small PEGs than PEG3350; it is the small PEGs that might bind more tightly
to proteins.

On top of this, there is the manufacturing issue.  All PEG is made in bulk and
then fractionated; different manufacturers have slightly different recipes and
purification schemes (which are trade secrets, so good luck in finding more
information from any company).  Take a look at an old paper by Fran Jurnak (J.
Cryst, Growth, 76, 577-582, 1986) for the trials and tribulations of working
with PEG from different manufacturers of PEG (as well as how the purify it if
you really get worried).  She got at least 4 different space groups, and the
key was the differing amount of phosphoric acid used in the neutralization step
in PEG production.  EACH batch of PEG from the same manufacturer can be
different!  So Herman's comment about pH should be considered.

But as Herman said check the enzyme activity of your protein in each and get
different batches of PEG to test.  Is it a particular size of PEG or a PEG
contaminant?  Remember that stock solutions you may buy from Hampton or other
X-ray specialty companies can be equally suspect because of where they get the
bulk product to begin with.  Even with purified PEGs (i.e., cleaned up of metal
contaminants,  aldehyde, and peroxided) age. So think about how old your stocks
are.

One last comment, just about your terminology.  I would avoid the use of the
phrase "improper crystal packing."   There is nothing really improper about it,
just unfortunate from your point of view.  The crystal packing is just the
natural consequence of physical interactions in solution that you have
prepared.  You just have to be lucky sometimes.

Good luck,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
603 Wilson Rd., Rm. 513
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  rmgarav...@gmail.com