I'm running home-built Ubuntu boxes with old, plain-vanilla CPUs (e.g., Q9300 or core i3/i5/i7) and 6-8Gbyte of RAM, and a cheap Nvidia video card (e.g. GT 9xxx or GT 620).This is more than sufficient to do routine structure solution. Any contemporary desktop or laptop computer should be sufficient, although if running Linux I have not had good luck with integrated Intel graphics. (If you want stereo display, you have to choose a compatible graphics card and video monitor.) It's not like the old days, where you needed special, dedicated hardware (remember Silicon Graphics?) to get the graphics and computing performance required. Current technology is more than sufficient for routine work.

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor
Department of Chemistry