A candidate is thought for a two-year position (an extension is possible) to
work on structural characterisation of respiratory complex I from T.
thermophilus.

Complex I is central to bioenergetics – it is the first and largest enzyme of
the respiratory chain in mitochondria and bacteria. It is also involved in a
wide range of human diseases. We use the bacterial enzyme as a ‘minimal’ model
of the more elaborate mammalian complex I. We have determined, by X-ray
crystallography, all currently known atomic structures of complex I, starting
with the hydrophilic domain (Science 2005, 2006), followed by the membrane
domain (Nature 2010, 2011) and, finally, the recent (Nature 2013) structure of
the entire Thermus thermophilus complex (536 kDa, 16 subunits, 9 Fe-S clusters,
64 TM helices). Structures suggest a unique mechanism of coupling between
electron transfer in the hydrophilic domain and proton translocation in the
membrane domain, via long-range (up to ~200 Å) conformational changes.

In order to determine the intriguing coupling mechanism, we are now working on
the structures of the complex in different redox states, with various bound
substrates. We are also interested in establishing the mode of action of
various inhibitors of complex I. The post holder will be involved in taking
this challenging project further, which requires extensive experience in
protein purification and X-ray crystallography, preferably acquired working
with membrane proteins or macromolecular assemblies. The post is partly funded
via collaboration with Pharma. Initially several months will be spent training
in the MRC Mitochondrial Biology Unit in Cambridge, UK and then the project
will be moved together with the rest of the group to the Institute of Science
and Technology in Austria, near Vienna.  IST Austria is a new institute
dedicated to basic research, providing world-class research environment and
benefits. We are looking to fill the post by early 2015. All queries and
applications with CVs and names of 2-3 academic referees should be forwarded to
Dr. Leonid Sazanov (saza...@mrc-mbu.cam.ac.uk).