Hi,

We’ve had good luck with Phaser in placing many copies of proteins or domains,
if the model is reasonably good.  Because of the variable elbow angle, you
probably want to place the domains separately.  However, as soon as you find
one convincing assembly you can switch to searching for the whole Fab.
Alternatively, you can try a bunch of different models and hope that one is
right.

Something that might be useful is a new “MR_GYRE" feature in Phaser.  This is a
likelihood-based version of the PC refinement that can be done in CNS, to
optimise the relative orientations of domains between the rotation and
translation searches.  If you get stuck, we might be able to give a hand — we
haven’t had much experience ourselves with using this on unsolved structures.

Of course, the advice you’ve had from others to be certain first of the space
group is very good!

Best wishes,

Randy Read

-----
Randy J. Read
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research    Tel: +44 1223 336500
Wellcome Trust/MRC Building                         Fax: +44 1223 336827
Hills Road                                                            E-mail:
rj...@cam.ac.uk
Cambridge CB2 0XY, U.K.
www-structmed.cimr.cam.ac.uk