The suggestions made are good ones. Honestly, each crystal necessitates its own
cryo screening, this is part of the job of the crystallographer in the cryo
age. A couple of my own suggestions:

  1.  try shooting some crystals at room temperature to get a baseline
diffraction before trying different cryos (I.e. “do my crystals diffract at
all, or are the cryos I’m trying ruining the crystal?”)
  2.  I’ve had good luck bypassing the cryo screening route altogether by
embedding crystals into paratone-N oil. This takes some practice maneuvering
crystals out of the aqueous phase into the viscous oil, but I really like this
strategy. I recommend practicing on some of your not-so-good crystals or dummy
crystals of lysozyme to get the technique down.

Good luck!
Geoff
-
Geoffrey K. Feld, Ph.D.
IRTA Fellow
Genome Integrity and Structural Biology Laboratory
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
111 T.W. Alexander Drive
Building 101, Room F-331
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709