From: Sampson, Jared
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 11:04 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Adding a residue with an insertion code

Along the same lines as Dialing’s recent post about inserting a residue, I’d
like to ask: Is it possible to insert a residue with an insertion code in the
residue number?  For example, what’s the best way to insert residue 100A
between residues 100 and 101?

This situation arises frequently for me in antibody CDR loops, for example.  I
ran into it most recently just last week, and Coot wouldn’t allow this kind of
insertion, even though the consecutively numbered residues were too far apart
to be covalently linked.  (In the terminal window, it explained "that residue
was not at a terminus.”)  My workaround has been either to increment the
residue numbers of the C-terminal portion of the chain, then renumber manually
in a text editor; or, to position a lone amino acid in approximately the right
spot, save the coordinates, copy them manually into the working PDB and adjust
the numbering in a text editor, reload the PDB in Coot, and real space refine
the loop with the insertion.

Any suggestions for how to do this more efficiently?  Thanks!

Cheers,
Jared

--
Jared Sampson